These are from the Eat Feed Autumn Winter Cookbook by Anne Bramley. I picked mine up from the sale rack at Chapters last year. So many great ideas for cold weather here! I don’t mind our (really LONNNNG) winter in Edmonton so much any more since I get to pull this puppy out. And contained therein is a recipe for Prime Rib, which I had never been brave enough to try before. Loving spouse has been excited about it for that reason alone.
So without further ado, I give you the most awesome muffins in the world. Like Sticky Toffee Pudding in a muffin cup! And you know, we Texans will find any excuse to put pecans in stuff.
2 T. flour
3 T. rolled oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup toasted pecans
2 T unsalted butter, softened
9 oz whole Medjool dates, pitted (about 14 dates or 2 cups)
3/4 cup boiling water
2 cups flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
To make streusel topping:
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, and pecans. Using a fork, cut in butter until well combined and mixture begins to hold together a bit.
To make muffins:
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin. Place the dates in a shallow bowl (in a single layer if possible), and pour boiling water over. Soak them for 15 minutes.
3. Transfer dates and soaking liquid to a food processor and puree until almost smooth but a few pea sized fruit pieces remain. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
5. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar. With the motor running, mix in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla. Add half of the flour mixture and mix until moistened. Follow with the date puree, and when thoroughly combined, mix in remainder of the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides and give a final stir with a spatula to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
6. Top with streusel and press down gently to adhere. Bake for 20-25 minutes.